COVID-19 is an sickness brought on by a brand new virus. There isn’t any vaccination or treatment but. Discover out concerning the illness, the way it spreads, who’s in danger, what to do in case you suppose you’ve got it, and what assets and help can be found to you.
Coronaviruses are a big household of viruses that trigger respiratory infections. These can vary from the widespread chilly to extra critical ailments.
COVID-19 is a illness brought on by a brand new type of coronavirus. It was first reported in December 2019 in Wuhan Metropolis in China.
Signs of COVID-19 can vary from delicate sickness to pneumonia. Some folks will recuperate simply, and others might get very sick in a short time. Individuals with coronavirus might expertise signs corresponding to:
- respiratory signs
- sore throat
- shortness of breath
- Different signs can embody runny nostril, headache, muscle or joint pains, nausea, diarrhoea, vomiting, lack of sense of odor, altered sense of style, lack of urge for food and fatigue.
To cease the unfold of COVID-19 folks with even delicate signs of respiratory an infection ought to get examined.
When you would not have any signs, you must nonetheless shield your self and others.
The way it spreads
The virus can unfold from individual to individual via:
shut contact with an infectious particular person (together with within the 48 hours earlier than they’d signs)
contact with droplets from an contaminated particular person’s cough or sneeze
touching objects or surfaces (like doorknobs or tables) which have droplets from an contaminated particular person, after which touching your mouth or face.
COVID-19 is a brand new illness, so there isn’t a present immunity in our group. Which means that COVID-19 may unfold broadly and rapidly.
Who’s most in danger
In Australia, the folks most liable to getting the virus are:
- travellers who’ve not too long ago been abroad
- those that have been in shut contact with somebody who has been recognized with COVID-19
- folks in correctional and detention services
- folks in group residential settings
People who find themselves, or usually tend to be, at larger danger of significant sickness in the event that they get the virus are:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander folks 50 years and older with a number of power medical circumstances
- folks 65 years and older with power medical circumstances
- folks 70 years and older
- folks with power circumstances or compromised immune techniques
- folks in aged care services
- folks with a incapacity
At this stage the danger to youngsters and infants, and the position youngsters play within the transmission of COVID-19, will not be clear. Nevertheless, there has thus far been a low price of confirmed COVID-19 instances amongst youngsters, relative to the broader inhabitants. For extra details about COVID-19 and youngsters please learn this truth sheet.
There’s restricted proof at the moment relating to the danger in pregnant girls.
Defend your self and others
Everybody should do the next issues to sluggish the unfold of COVID-19 and shield those that are most in danger.
The way to search medical consideration
If you’re sick and suppose you’ve got signs of COVID-19, search medical recommendation and get examined. If you wish to speak to somebody about your signs, name the Nationwide Coronavirus Helpline for recommendation.
To hunt medical assist from a health care provider or hospital, name forward of time to guide an appointment.
You can be requested to take precautions whenever you attend for therapy. Comply with the directions you might be given.
You probably have a masks, put on it to guard others. Keep a minimum of 1.5 metres away from different folks. Cowl your coughs or sneezes along with your elbow.
Inform the physician about:
- your signs
- any journey historical past
- any latest contact you’ve got had with somebody who has COVID-19
- The way to get examined
- You probably have chilly or flu like signs, corresponding to a cough, fever, sore throat, shortness of breath or runny nostril, even when these are delicate, you must get examined for COVID-19 as quickly as doable. Individuals with delicate signs can nonetheless unfold the virus. To assist cease the unfold of COVID-19, anybody with chilly or flu-like signs ought to get examined.
As a part of Australia’s response to COVID-19, public well being items round Australia have elevated testing. Individuals might have a COVID-19 check for a number of causes. You could find extra steerage for people who find themselves examined below these enhanced procedures for COVID-19.
If it’s good to get examined, you’ll be able to:
- attend a free COVID-19 respiratory clinic
- contact your physician and they’re going to prepare the check, this will entice a price
- COVID-19 respiratory clinics are devoted well being centres positioned across the nation, specializing in testing folks with signs of respiratory an infection.
Discover the COVID-19 respiratory clinic nearest to you.
In case your signs are extreme, you must search pressing medical consideration. If doable, name forward so the medical facility can put together.
Early analysis means you will get the allow you to want and take steps to keep away from spreading the virus to another person.
Testing diagnoses sufferers with COVID-19 and helps well being authorities monitor and monitor the unfold of COVID-19. Because the scenario modifications, states and territories might alter their testing standards based mostly on native wants. For contemporary data verify your state or territory well being web site.
Testing is essential for anybody with signs and notably if any of the next apply to you:
- you’ve got returned from abroad prior to now 14 days
- you’ve got been in shut contact with somebody recognized with COVID-19 prior to now 14 days
- you’re a well being care, aged care or residential care employee or workers member with direct affected person contact
- you’ve got lived in or travelled via an space the place there’s a larger danger of group transmission, as outlined by the native public well being unit
- you travelled on a cruise ship (both passenger or crew) within the 14 days earlier than creating signs
Individuals in high-risk settings might be recurrently monitored to make sure signs are recognized early. Fast response plans might be activated if somebody in these settings develops a fever or respiratory signs. Individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 have to be examined earlier than they will go into excessive danger settings.
Excessive-risk settings embody:
- aged and residential care services
- detention centres or correctional services
- boarding colleges
- navy group residences and different closed settings, corresponding to Navy ships or live-in lodging
rural and distant Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
When you get examined for the virus, or you’ve got signs, it’s good to keep at residence and keep away from contact with different folks. You will have to do that till you both have a damaging check outcome or your signs have gone – whichever is longer. It might take a day or 2 to your check outcomes to come back again.
You probably have critical signs you can be saved in hospital and remoted from different sufferers to forestall the virus spreading.
In case your physician says you might be nicely sufficient to go residence when you wait to your check outcomes, you must:
- isolate at residence
- shield your self and others
- For questions on testing or affected person welfare, name the Nationwide Coronavirus Helpline.
A temperature verify is when a monitoring gadget, corresponding to a contactless thermometer or thermal imaging, checks whether or not somebody has a fever. In locations like hospitals and aged care services, temperature checks could also be helpful as an additional precaution to guard susceptible folks. Some locations would possibly check guests in addition to employees.
Temperature checks should not as helpful in different settings. Individuals with COVID-19 don’t at all times develop fever, or they could have a fever from one other sickness. Some medicines cut back fever.
When you really feel unwell with COVID-19 signs, even delicate ones, keep residence and get examined for COVID-19. This is a vital a part of our 3-step framework for a COVID Safe Australia.
COVID-19 and breastfeeding
Ladies are inspired to proceed breastfeeding in the course of the COVID-19 pandemic.